- The Community Council shall review, as appropriate, the effectiveness of measures taken pursuant to this Chapter and take such action as may be necessary to achieve the objective set out in Article 143, and shall submit a report thereon to the Conference.
- The review shall include an examination of relevant programmes and support measures in order to determine their efficacy as a basis for their termination or modification as the case may be.
Subject to the authority of the Conference, COTED and COFAP, as appropriate, shall establish, administer and monitor the measures identified in Article 143.
- The objective of the regimes mentioned in Article 142 is to assist the disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors towards becoming economically viable and competitive by appropriate interventions of a transitional or temporary nature.
- The interventions referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article may include:
(a) technical and financial assistance to address economic dislocation arising from the operation of the CSME;
(b) special measures to attract investment and industries;
(c) transitional or temporary arrangements to ameliorate or arrest adverse economic and social impact arising from the operation of the CSME;
(d) special measures to assist industries to become efficient and competitive;
(e) assistance intended to achieve structural diversification and infrastructural development;
(f) assistance to economic enterprises disadvantaged by the removal of intraregional barriers;
(g) the establishment of mechanisms to monitor, and assist in the discharge of, obligations assumed under the Treaty and other international trade agreements.
- The provisions of this Chapter shall have effect for the purpose of establishing a regime for disadvantaged countries, regions or sectors within the framework of the Treaty as well as a special regime for the Less Developed Countries in order to enhance their prospects for successful competition within the Community, and redress, to the extent possible, any negative impact of the establishment of the CSME.
- As soon as practicable after the entry into force of this Treaty, the Conference shall, on the recommendation of the Community Council and in accordance with Article 1, designate disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors and may, from time to time, make such further designations or terminate such designations as circumstances warrant.
- Wherever in this Treaty reference is made to disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors or to the Less Developed Countries, the Organs of the Community shall take the measures required to give effect to the spirit and intent of this Chapter.