- In order to achieve the objectives of its industrial policy, the Community shall promote, inter alia:
(a) the co-ordination of national industrial policies of the Member States;
(b) the establishment and maintenance of an investment-friendly environment, including a facilitative administrative process;
(c) the diversification of the products and markets for goods and services with a view to increasing the range and value of exports;
(d) the organisation and development of product and factor markets;
(e) the development of required institutional, legal, technical, financial, administrative and other support for the establishment or development of micro and small economic enterprises throughout the Community; and
(f) in collaboration with the social partners, the advancement of production integration.
- The Community shall establish a special regime for disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors.
- COTED shall, in collaboration with competent organs and bodies of the Community and the private sector, establish criteria for according special consideration to particular industries and sectors. Such criteria shall include, in particular, arrangements relating to the prospects of the industry for successful production integration.
- COTED shall collaborate with competent agencies to assist the Member States in designing appropriate policy instruments to support industries, which may include effective export promotion policies, financing policies, incentives and technology policies.
- In implementing the Community Industrial Policy, COTED shall have regard to the provisions of this Treaty relating to environmental protection.
- The Member States undertake to establish and maintain appropriate macro-economic policies supportive of efficient production in the Community. In addition, they shall undertake to put in place arrangements for, inter alia:
(a) effective payment mechanisms;
(b) the avoidance of double taxation;
(c) harmonised legislation in relevant areas;
(d) the elimination of bureaucratic impediments to deployment of investments in industrial enterprises;
(e) the improvement of infrastructure and co-operation in the areas of air and maritime transport;
(f) communications systems.
- In order to facilitate the implementation of the Community Industrial Policy, COTED shall, in collaboration with competent organs and agencies:
(a) develop strategies for the development and dissemination of market information and appropriate mechanisms to facilitate acquisition, storage and retrieval of such information;
(b) promote the establishment and development of capital markets in the Member States; and
(c) encourage the Member States to establish and develop export markets, especially in non-traditional sectors, through the development of sector- specific incentives and appropriate policy instruments.
- For the purpose of this Article, “production integration” includes:
(a) the direct organisation of production in more than one Member State by a single economic enterprise;
(b) complementary production involving collaboration among several economic enterprises operating in one or more Member States to produce and use required inputs in the production chain; and
(c) co-operation among economic enterprises in areas such as purchasing, marketing, and research and development.