- The Community, in collaboration with competent national, regional and international agencies and organisations, shall promote the development, management and conservation of the fisheries resources in and among the Member States on a sustainable basis. by:
- The Community shall effect the promotion and facilitation referred to in paragraph 1
(a) enhancing the institutional capabilities of the Member States in areas such as policy formulation, registration and management systems, resource monitoring and assessment, and harvesting and post-harvesting technologies;
(b) establishing mechanisms to provide assistance in:
(i) the development, management and conservation of the fisheries resources;
(ii) the discharge of obligations relating to fisheries resources arising under Articles 62, 63 and 64 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982).
(c) effective regional representation at international fora;
(d) establishing development programmes for aquaculture;
(e) encouraging the establishment of protected aquatic habitats and associated terrestrial areas and fish populations for the sustainable development of fisheries resources of the Member States; and
(f) establishing, facilitating and strengthening research and human resource development at the professional, technical and vocational levels.
- The Community shall collaborate with the Member States in:
(a) the management of straddling and highly migratory fish stocks;
(b) ongoing surveillance of their exclusive economic zones;
(c) the delimitation of maritime boundaries; and
(d) safeguarding their marine environment from pollutants and hazardous wastes.
- Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 56, COFCOR shall promote the establishment of a regime for the effective management, conservation and utilisation of the living resources of the exclusive economic zones of the Member States.
- For the purpose of this Article, “fisheries resources” includes all the fishable resources, natural and cultured, in the inland and internal waters, territorial seas and the exclusive economic zones of the Member States.