- COTED may authorise a Member State having a sensitive industry which can be disadvantaged by the operation of the CSME to suspend Community treatment to products of other Member States.
- The suspension authorised in paragraph 1 of this Article shall be granted upon application to COTED in that behalf where the applicant establishes that the product is from a sensitive industry.
- For the purpose of this Article, an industry may be considered to be sensitive by reason of its vulnerable nature and:
(a) the significance of its contribution to, inter alia:
(i) Gross Domestic Product;
(iii) foreign exchange earnings; or
(b) its designation as vital within the national industrial policy.
- Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Treaty, a disadvantaged country may, for the period of suspension decided upon by COTED, suspend Community treatment in respect of imports of like description from the Member State granted the suspension.
- COTED, in authorising the suspension mentioned in paragraph 1 of this Article may impose terms and conditions for the grant of the suspension.
- COTED shall monitor the progress of the industry concerned and undertake a periodic review.